Tuesday, December 9, 2008

First Appointment

Today was my first midwife appointment. It went really well. She said I was right on with my dates as far as tummy growth and she reassured me that there was only one in there. We got to hear the heartbeat for about 5-10 secs, and then spent 10mins trying to find the little wiggle worm to no avail. The kids thought all the noise of looking was fantastic, and were happy to "hear the baby". Wesley kept commenting about how noisy the baby was.. too cute. I had my blood taken which was not pleasant at all since I am the hardest person in the world to take blood from. It only took a grand total of 7 goes, and after that we decided that we would leave the 3rd vial for next time.

I also found out then when I need to have my 19 week anatomy scan is when Judah will still be in Brisbane. We are all going over for 2 weeks but he is staying an extra week and flying back with his cousin Madi. I've tried to book a scan when I am over, but I can't get a 4-d one and it will mean having to drive all the way back into Birsbane from the beach house which we are staing at during the 2nd week of our visit. All of that combined I think he is just going to have to miss it. I will bring a video or disc so we can record it, but I think he is going to be just devasted to not be there for it. He is so looking forward to it. I was thinking about just having them both done, but at $100 each I can't really justify it. Poor little guy, I hope he takes the news better then I am imagining him taking it.

I have to admit that I was actually just the slightest bit surprised that there really was a baby in there. I just haven't really felt pregnant and in the back of my mind I thought she might do the exam and say I'm not pregnant after all. So now for the first time I am really trully excited that, yes, there really is a baby in there and it really is mine. I feel all clucky and want to go buy some baby gear... but that will have to wait for another day because I still have no idea where we are going to be setting up the nursery.

It was a good appointment and I am so thankful that we have a private mid-wife who comes to our house to do all this stuff. It was great that Heidi and Wesley could run around and play outside, watch videos and eat lunch while we did all the paper work and "baby stuff". I can't even imagine waiting around in a doctor surgery with the 2 of them trying to do all of it. So all in all, a great appointment, just the kind you like to have!!!

1 comments:

Sara said...

yeah, that is so exciting...I am so happy for you guys!! The sound of you babies heartbeat for the first time is such an amazing thing. I am hoping that Judah takes the news better than expected as well.